Route of the Palaces

Relive the golden age of Ávilaila

The 16th century is the golden age of Ávila

Fall in love with architecture

The history of the city reaches its maximum splendor in all its artistic, cultural, social and even economic manifestations. The city is architecturally reinforced with a series of palaces and civil works, with blazons carved in stone and with Plateresque and Renaissance decorations.

Artistic constructions

They are constructions that treasure exceptional artistic value; many of them have been preserved in their purest form and others have undergone transformations, have been rehabilitated and updated with structural reforms appropriate to the world in which we have lived and retained its original beauty.

Most of these palaces, authentic bulwarks of the city, along with the wall, are located within the walls and the visit to them will revive an old town, full of history and art.

ITINERARY

SUPERUNDA PALACE

It was built between 1580 and 1595. Its first builder and owner was the alderman Ochoa Aguirre, later inheriting the counts of Superunda, from which he received his name. It has a beautiful, lintered patio. Its Italianizing aspect is one of the main characteristics of this palatial house. After a while, it was bought by the painter Guido Caprotti in 1930. Upon his death, the heirs sold it to the Avila City Council, which restores it and opens it to the public.

PALACE OF THE VERDUGO

This Palace dates from 1531. Its facade is made of stone; It belongs to the Plateresque style, with two wide towers on each side. Its central courtyard is of great interest with noble shields of different Abulean lineages. To the left of the main facade is a Vetonic zoomorphic sculpture. It was declared a National Monument in 1976. It is currently the seat of the Municipal Archive.

PALACE OF THE SERRANO

It was built in the mid-16th century and its style is framed in the Renaissance. The basis of its construction is that of granite ashlar. It has three heights, anomalous aspect in the city. Inside it highlights the adintelado patio, of which only two bays remain. Today it has been destined to a cultural center where hundreds of people from Puebla go.

VALDERRABANOS PALACE

VALDERRABANOS PALACE

PALACE OF THE VELADA

It was imperial accommodation of Carlos I, Empress Isabel and Felipe II. Chamfering shields are embedded in its imposing tower. In its large interior courtyard there are rooms for hotel use. It dates from the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries.

PALACE OF LOS ALMARZA

It is the current convent of the Congregation of the Servants of Mary. In its architecture elements of Islamic tradition are shown. It is built in the 16th century with granite masonry. The cover is of Renaissance style and on its sides there are noble coats of arms. It is a National Monument since 1992.

NÚÑEZ VELA PALACE

It is attached to the wall and was built in the mid-16th century in the Spanish Renaissance. Its adintelado patio is of great simplicity with a magnificent staircase. The upper gallery has an elegant balustrade. It is currently the seat of the Provincial Court.

POLENTINIAN PALACE

Located on Vallespín street. Renaissance style, its facade contains plateresque motifs and shows a great decorative wealth. The palace is structured around a central quadrangular courtyard surrounded by galleries. In the room of tributes there is a beautiful coffered ceiling with wooden beams on lobed brackets. It is currently the headquarters of the Army Military Archive.

BRACAMONTE PALACE

Its construction dates from 1510. Townhouse to the northern canvas of the wall. Its ornamentation is of great interest with shields of the main lineages of Abu. Its patio, with four arcaded galleries, is one of the largest in the city. It is currently occupied by the Culture Services of the Junta de Castilla y León and was declared a National Monument in 1978.

PALACE OF LOS ÁGUILA

It is Renaissance style with a cover adintelada with terraced columns, topped with flames. On the cover opens a balcony, framed by columns and flames. It was donated to the city by the Marquise of Valencia. It is planned to host an annex of the Prado Museum. In 1969 it was declared a National Monument.

PALACE OF THE DÁVILA

Fortress equipped with battlements, imposing dovelas, strong matacanes and a beautiful Renaissance window. The construction follows the model of the wall, constituting an intramural fortification. It is an example of a fortified medieval palace. The matacanes and merlones of the northern facade show the defensive character of the palace. In the courtyard and interior areas there are vestiges of Mudejar architecture.

PALACE OF THE GUZMANES

Better known in Ávila as the Torreón de los Guzmanes. It was built around 1513. Its facade is made of granite masonry without much decoration. Keep a Mudejar coffered ceiling. Stresses its Renaissance quadrangular tower. The porticoed central courtyard is a double gallery with Tuscan Doric columns. It is currently the seat of the Provincial Council and was declared a National Monument in 1983.

DEANES PALACE

Town hall built in the 16th century. It is of Renaissance style. It has two heights with a quadrangular plan and its porticoed patio distributes the space. Its brick arches are supported on granite columns. Its Italian gallery is topped with plateresque cresting with semicircular medallions.
Scroll to Top